Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of job can I get with this degree?

You will be eligible to apply for your teaching license in the following areas:

  • K-6 setting
  • Middle School setting teaching two content areas
  • High School setting with a content area emphasis

How many classes do I have to take?

  • Depending on your program, the BS Education degree requires a minimum of 120 credit hours.   Most classes are 1-3 credit hours each.

What kinds of classes will I have to take?

  • The first two years, students will have to take the same general education courses that all the degree programs at IU Kokomo have to take. Beginning the junior year, students are formally admitted to the Teacher Education Program, and begin to take method or pedagogy classes.

What is accreditation and what does it mean?

  • The School of Education has been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since its inception in 1954 - with a recent re-accreditation in May 2010. NCATE’s performance-based system of accreditation fosters competent classroom teachers and other educators who work to improve the education of all P-12 students. The U. S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation recognize NCATE as a professional accrediting body for teacher preparation.

How many students will be in my classes?

  • Classes at IU Kokomo generally have between 15-30 students in each class.

What are faculty qualifications?

  • Tenure-track faculty in the School of Education all have a Ph.D. in the area in which they teach. All have experience teaching or working in some capacity in the public school.   Adjunct faculty are required to have a MS degree and teaching experience. 

Can I do an internship with this program?

  • Yes students can do internships as part of the BS Education degree program. Usually students complete an internship in an educational setting.  For example, students have completed internships at Bona Vista and the Center for Early Childhood Education. 

Can I study abroad with this degree?

  • Yes you can take courses that will require you to study abroad.  Students may also complete seven weeks of student teaching overseas.

Will you help me find a job when I graduate?

  • Our Career Services office is here to serve all of our graduates in searching for a job.

Are there student organizations for this degree?

  • Yes.  There are two student organizations depending upon the area of study.

The Education Student Advisory Council (EdSAC) has as its mission the following goals:

  • Provide a forum for enhanced educational experience and knowledge through community involvement, seminars, and workshops
  • Source of student feedback to the faculty of the Division of Education
  • Serve as active members of IU Kokomo's Student Body

Math, English, Science, History working together for Education (meshEd) At  Indiana University Kokomo, students may obtain their grades 5-12 licensure in one of six content areas: Mathematics, English, Science (Chemistry, Physics, Physical Science, Earth/Space Science, or Life Science), History (History, Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, or Economics), Fine Arts, or Middle School Generalist. It is the goal of meshEd to work together to represent the interests of all content areas, as well as Education. meshEd plans events, workshops, and activities throughout the semester.

How can I get in touch with my professor?

  • Professors will have their contact information in the syllabus. IU email is one way to communicate “officially” with IU faculty and staff.

Do I get an advisor to help me schedule classes?

  • Yes we have an advising center to assist students in Education and General Studies.

How do I change degrees?

  • You would need to meet with the advisor of the major you would like to switch too and they can start the process.

Can I double-major?

  • No, students cannot double major.

What is a major?

  • A major is the part of the degree program that the student does most of their coursework in for their career choice

What is a minor?

  • A minor is less hours than a major. The BS Education for the K-6 program requires a minor for all students to satisfy teacher licensure regulations.   Students enrolled in the secondary education program, a minor is not required. 

Can I minor in anything I want?

  • For students enrolled in the K-6 program, it is highly recommended that they minor in content areas that will be of value as they seek employment.  For example, math, science, language arts are all excellent minors for K-6 students. 

What is a concentration?

  • Usually, students enrolled in the BS Education complete their concentration within their program requirements. 
Last updated: 09/18/2016